Microsoft releases various updates for its version of Widows 10 from time to time, including adding or updating features, Windows Protector updates, security patches and much more. These updates are important for smooth operation of your system and constant protection against malicious attacks.
However, there may be cases when you get an unexpected error code 0x800f0831 when installing Windows 10 updates. This can be annoying, because if you miss an update, it can slow down your PC. However there are several methods you can use to solve the problem. Let’s see how.
Troubleshooting the Windows Update Center
If you are trying to install the latest cumulative update on your system and the 0x800f0831 error is displayed, this is due to the presence of corrupted files http://windowsbulletin.com/fix-0x800f0831-installation-failure-when-you-install-an-update/. You can use the Windows Update Center troubleshooter to identify these culprits and fix them (if possible). Here is the complete procedure –
- First press Start Menu and enter CP into the text field.
- Select the best result to start the control panel.
- On the screen that opens, select “Large icons” from the “Category View” section.
- Click Troubleshooting in the list of options.
- Go to the left panel and click the View All link.
- Find the Windows Update Center in the Troubleshooting window of your computer.
- Once found, click the same thing in the pop-up window, and then click Next.
- This will allow you to detect damaged system files and recover them (if possible). So clean your computer.
Set the Windows Update Center status to automatic.
If the computer on which the Windows Update Center could not be installed is part of a common domain, a third-party network policy or system optimization tool could disable the main service responsible for the upgrade feature. In this case, you can solve the problem by setting the Windows Update Service startup type to automatic and force the Windows Update Service to start.
- Press the Windows + R key.
- In the “Run” dialog box, type services.msc and press Enter to open “Services”.
- Scroll through the “Services” window and find the Windows Update Center service.
- Double-click the entry to change its properties.
- Make sure you enter “Automatic” in the Start Menu drop-down list of the “Service Properties” window for the option. Confirm all dialog boxes that appear when you change the startup type.
- Click Apply> OK to save your changes.
- Reboot your computer.
- At startup, check if the problem is solved. If the startup type of the Windows Update Center was already set to automatic and this did not help solve the problem, proceed to the next solution.
Reset the Windows Update components
Right-click the Win button and select Command Line (administrator).
If User Account Control appears, click OK to continue.
Find and click the registry section or subsection you want to back up and select File -> Export.
In the Registry File Export dialog box, select the location where you want to save the backup.
Enter a name for the backup in the file name and select Save. (Recommended are steps 1 to 5. This is a way to create registry backups, which may be useful in case of a failure or damage to the wrong entries).
Then stop the BITS, Windows Update, Cryptographic and MSI Installer services. To do this, type in the following commands and press Enter in each case:
Clean stop bits
wuauserv net stop
blank stop appidsvc
cryptsvc net stop
Then add the command Delete “% ALLUSERSPROFILE% \ Application Data \ Microsoft Network \ Downloader \ qmgr * .dat” to remove the qmgr * .dat files.
Then copy the command cd / d% windir% \ system32 and press Enter.
To re-register the BITS and Windows Update files, type in all the commands below and press Enter after each entry:
To reset Winsock, run netsh winsock reset and netsh winhttp reset proxy. As usual, press Enter after each entry.
Finally, restart the BITS, Windows Update, Cryptographic and MSI Installer services by typing the following commands, followed by Eter:
Net start bits
Clean start wuauserv
Net Startup appidsvc
cryptsvc net download